National radar

Monday, December 9, 2013

The good the bad the ugly

The good news is that my nav unit is working as it should, the other good news is that my Navionics works like IT should also! This little chip cost me around $130 three yrs ago and is no longer available or even updateable. At the time I bought this , Navionics didn't have maps that covered the area I was traveling (according to my recent chat with them)(but the guy at Scheels said "oh yeah! its got all you will need!)
If you plan on getting map sets, use  my experience and contact the manufacturer for official specs regarding their products.
The bad news is , my Navionics charts ended 10 miles north of Marathon, and does not cover any of the keys..down here anyway...
The ugly is now I have to play the guessing game using Iphone navionics maps and compare those with what my nav unit environment readout says and then make judgment calls when situations get critical...
     The bright side is I have done the juggle before , experience counts for something , and I do have a paper chart that the captain of RENA gave me on my last visit with them!
The dark side is when the weather is rough the phone goes inside for it's protection. (just when I need it most usually).
well hell....when the goin gets tough , the tough reef sails and keep goin!!
 AAAaaarrrrrggggghhh!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment