National radar

Friday, December 27, 2013

Exploration

Today Kitty and I went for an outing. We went to explore the backwater and beaches on the north side of Sawyer Key.
We paddled some walked some paddled some more and then saw a conopy frame laying so decided to go ashore there and check it out.
Kitty was off in an instant, it had been a while since she got to run.
I look at the campsite that was grown up with weeds and then walk around it through lower weeds to go see the gulf that was 30 ft away.
I got about 2 pictures snapped before I heard this LOUD rattling and turn to see kitty bounding towards me from out of the brush(ears back and tail tucked), that's about the time I heard the leaves crunching towards us!
This all took about a second before my mind jumped and realized this was a  reeeaaallly BIG and HUNGRY rattle snake and it was on our trail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Since I couldn't see it visually that made it even worse!!
Frantically calling Kitty( hoping she don't charge to attack), she responded according to me bolting right to me and mid step towards the dink I scooped her up and took BIG hops through the low grass (hoping like hell there wasn't more snakes there) .
We get to the dink and hopped in with relief wondering if rattlesnakes swim !!
Needless to say that ended our land excursions for this island.
The water out here is clear as glass unless ya disturb the bottom where there is grass.
It was difficult to row because I was mesmerized by the sight of "see through" water. I didn't want to miss anything going by!
There is also a lot of crab trap bobbers hung up in the mangroves also, the island seems to be decorated for the holidays!
I will post some pix later when I have more signal.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, that sounded scary. Glad you and Kitty got out of there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, exciting and dangerous all at once!!!!! Glad it turned out ok!

    ReplyDelete