National radar

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Intra-coastal-highway

Click HERE for my location.
I stepped back into the ICW today. For what it's worth I would rather sail in a storm on open gulf  than run that stretch again.
Intra Coastal Waterway should be named Inter Coastal Highway !
I think the boats per minute passing one way or another was at about 3.
Now I realize this don't sound like much but this stretch of ICW is shallow and narrow .
The chop from boats on this frequency is a little  hard to deal with while under sail. Down right exhausting actually.
I tried to save a $60000 sailboat from running aground when entering Big Carlos pass but he had his radio on the wrong station. He finally decided to follow me after rubbing off some of his bottom paint. Belatedly BoatUS came along after hearing my calls on the radio, and approached the other sailboat to tell him where he needed to be and offer advice about the ICW depth on the inside.
The sailor broke a cardinal rule. he followed his chart instead of the channel markers.
Oh well .
No pix , sorry. same ol stuff as last November passing through.

No comments:

Post a Comment