National radar

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Meanwhile back at Ramrod key

location
by clicking the word "location" above will take you to my google maps location.
Please leave some feedback to lemme know how it works!

I left Key West at around noon today after getting gas at a shell station by Boca Chica harbor.
The day before I started to get a headache about the time I was told to move out of my safe spot.
It may sound weird but the further I got from Key West the less my headache hurt.
Now after setting out 3 anchors I anticipation for this small craft advisory from the north , I wait on the south side of Ramrod Key as close to the shore as I dared. This spot has flat rocks just under the sand and anchoring with confidence is out of the question. One can hope for the best though right?
The wind is supposed to clock from SW to W by 9pm, pick up speed and then clock to the North at just after midnight. No rest for the wicked. No swimming on my birthday . No drinking on my birthday.
Oh and I saw 2 Man-o-war jelly fish today.(as if sharks and stingrays and barracuda aren't bad enough...)
I didn't get many pix today . when I left I found 4-6ft chop with an occasional 8 footer here and there.
I was a little worried while motoring into them on the way out of the channel, they were at my bow at that point and I dunked the bow a few times.
Once I got out of the shoals and turned east I had the chop at my beam and things were rough till I got both sails up and full. After that I got a rhythm and the day went ok till the very end when the wind died and the chop remained.
I isn't too bad here though cause the shoals block all the hard core stuff from the Atlantic.


No comments:

Post a Comment