National radar

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Saline issues

I discovered a bit of an over heat issue this morning after sailing yesterday and dealing with a quickly overheating outboard till a mid nite anchorage provided a much needed sleep. 
Upon removing the thermostat cover for an inspection I saw salt..... LOTS of too. 
Removing the thermostat from its salt seal, I proceeded to dig out more than a heaping tablespoon of salt from the housing. 
Looking at a thermostat with this appearance
was convincing enough to consider it "out of action", and RTV'd the cover back in place. 
Since there was barely enough wind to move, I was very relieved to not hear the hot alarm squeal after a minute.!!

2 comments:

  1. As long as you are in the south , it probably won't hurt to run for awhile without a thermostat . But you need to get one as soon as possible , to keep the motor at an efficient temperature .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that might be the case.
    I am slowly devising a "quick rinse" idea for this kind of cruising. Maybe a " daily rinse" would be a better term. Thanks Gypsy!!

    ReplyDelete