National radar

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Whew !

Just when I thought I was gonna make through the 50+ winds ok , all 3 of my anchors suddenly pull free ! Dawgfish spins around , tangling the ropes in the process .  As I drift towards the sandbar feeling the anchors bite and release several times while the tidal/storm current is cruising me along at 5 mph . 2 of the anchors bit as I was about to cut the lines, glad I didn't have to do it! 
After some quick knot work and a Lil rearrangement while getting tangled in the rope a scary moment, I noticed that my ship was directly above the sandbar and wasn't aground! 
Much relieved I wait for the tide to settle so I can actually pull in the anchors and reset.
At the tide change I was pulling in my last anchor was I saw a boat approaching , the guy offering the help (thinking I was aground) was about to run aground!
I waved him back with an "I'm ok" and reset my position.
After getting dried off I check phone Doppler and see a missed call, I called it back and found out it was a guy named Sean at the Nauti Turtle offering help! 
  In hind sight I believe the excessive current washed away the sand around my anchor and the sheer force of that current had a good grip on Dawgfish. That's gonna be a problem I hadn't thought about and I'm not sure there IS a fix for it . Maybe a Bruce anchor would've held , maybe .. 
Oh well for now its ok .

No comments:

Post a Comment